Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The great outdoors

For the last two days I have enjoyed exploring the outdoors with the kids. There is just something about watching them discover the natural beauty and fun in the simple things in life. I was determined yesterday to get my bike repaired so that we could tackle a bike path. It took all of the morning to pack, get the kids out the door, get their favorite bikes at my parents house, get the bike fixed, get gas, and stop at the grocery store for more lunchables for lunch but we got there! We got lost on the way too, but we discovered this beautiful covered bridge that ended up being worth the extra minutes. The landscapping lady pointed us in the right direction. Once on the bike path Weston went full speed. Because he has a smaller bike (he feels more comfortable without training wheels that way) he has to peddle harder and more frequently, so he got tired out quickly. It took us most of the time to convince him that he could continue to peddle and make it back to the car. What seemed to work was when I told him that most people think he is the strongest little boy they know and that he has been through so many other painful things that he could do that too. It wasn't a long ride, but it took us about an hour. Maybe one mile? 1.5? Next time I will have Andy hook up the two seater and Weston will ride with me. I need to be on my bike (especially after I spend money on fixing it)because it makes me feel great. When we finally made it back to the car we decided to go back to the covered bridge and see what it had to offer. Honestly this was like finding hidden treasure for me. This place made it feel as though I was in New Hampshire and was exactly what I needed. Thankfully I brought their swim suits (I know to come prepared). The kids went back to the car and changed into them so they could play in the water. The river had small rapids going through it, so Ella had to help her brother across. They could have played in that water for hours. We decided to check out the trail to see if there were any other beauties to be discovered. The trail was gorgeous but after a big hill Weston was done. They played a little longer at a different spot, but decided to leave when they saw a small river snake pass them by. It was a great day outdoors. I am hoping that most of the rest of the summer will be more like these days. I needed it badly and so do they. I'll be off exploring our state!

No comments:

Post a Comment