Monday, July 20, 2009

Nature Center

Today I packed up the children and our lunch and we took a trip to the Dension Nature Center in Mystic. I have heard a lot about this place in the past years and have been wanting to go. I wasn't sure if you had to pay or you could just use the trails, but it also said there was a museum so I figured "hey what the heck". So I paid the $18 to get in. I had heard such great things about the place I figured it must be worth it. Well, I think I may have missed a bunch of stuff because I didn't really find it to be all that wonderful. We toured the "museum" if you can even call it that. I mean what there was to see was mildly entertaining, but there wasn't much TOO see. The kids really wanted to go outside to see the owls and walk the trails, so we didn't stay long in the "museum".

When outside we went on the trail around the duck pond. I was told by the lady working that this was a great trail for the kids, and I believe she said with a lot to see. Well I have no idea where the "duck" pond got its name because there were no ducks, and I though this was a nature preserve? I saw a bird or to. The trail was very short (my kids had no problem completing it in two minutes). I was thinking "I paid $18 to walk in the woods?!" Then we went on another trail and I was realizing that the misquitos where out with full force in the middle of the day. Oh, at least we saw one animal! Well then Ella was saying she was itchy, so we took the short cut out of the woods. My god she got bit up!!! She was so busy taking pictures with my camera that she apparently didn't swat them away like Weston and I did. They are on her face and all up and down her arms. Poor kid was scraching so hard! We went over to the owls but only looked briefly because Ella was in misery and complaining. We decided to go in and see if they had any itch spray at the gift shop which they did not. I convinced her to go downstairs and watch the "movie". I was really determined to get some of my moneys worth. The "movie" was cute. It wasn't a movie, but it was an exhibit where you go into a dark room and it makes the sounds of animals at night and lights up what animals they are. Ella said she didn't like it because she was scared and Weston wasn't sure, but I thought it was cute and the best part so far. Then we looked around the "museum" a little more...It was better than I thought (still not worth the $ though).

After that Ella seemed to be feeling better so we went outside to have our picnic lunch near the center so that the mosquitos were not out. We were able to eat in peace and the kids played on the big rock formations. Ella asked if we could come back sometime, so apparently she really enjoyed it even with the bites and all. This promted me to go inside and ask about more information. I have heard such great things that I had to be missing something. I think the woman at the counter may have been new because she appeared to not know much. I ended up buying a membership because they took into account what you already paid. I figured if I pay the membership fee we can come back, full of bug spray, and do more of the hikes. They are great hikes for kids. Plus we could look into the other programs and get them at a reduced price (plus camp is reduced price) and it sounds like the programs are were the fun and cool stuff is offered. Apparently they are open year round and you get newsletters in the mail, so something to do on weekends in fall, winter, and early spring maybe!

We then went off to walk downtown Mystic. I figured we were already out that way we might as well make a day out of it. I figured the downtown Mystic walk may be boring for them, but I also knew that they enjoy boats and the ocean so maybe this would captivate them for a few more minutes. Wow! We sat on the dock for 30 min. just watching the water, the boats, and waiting for the drawbridge to open up! They were amazed at the bridge (to be honest so was I). While I worked in Mystic it was always a nuisance because it created traffic, but to sit and watch it was kind of interesting. I can't believe how high in the air it gets!

While sitting there I noticed that they give boat ride tours for $5 a person. Not bad at all, so I am keeping that in mind for next time. Maybe we can do the nature center in the AM, and boat tours afterwards. Maybe fit that seaport in there (free passes at the librauary).

After the bridge we went to drawbridge ice cream. Yummy! Then we came home. On the way we passed buttonwoods farm and saw that the sunflowers are starting to bloom...this weekend it is!!! Yay!!!

Last weekend was quiet. We hung around the house mostly. Kristin and Doug had a picnic at their house to celebrate Karis' christianing. The kids had fun in the kiddie pools.

Saturday we stayed at home...oh and made a trip to Home Depot. Friday I worked. Thurs. my sister took the kids in the AM so I could clean and we went grocery shopping in the PM. Basically four days of hanging out after keeping a busy schedule. Ella sat in front of the TV all weekend...sponge bob marathon! She must have felt deprived!

Weston has been SO obsessed with Tractors ever since I showed him the john deere tractor website. He is talking NON-stop about what tractors he is going to get Andy and he truely believes he is going to be able to buy them! We asked where he was going to get the money and he asked Andy "Daddy, where do you get the money at your work". Apparently he thinks you can just go to work and take money!! LOL!

Ella told me today that Mammy makes better egg sandwiches than I do and Daddy makes better pancakes. I gave her a look and said "I know you think everyone makes something better than mommy". She waited a few minutes and said "Mom, you make the best.....(had to think about it for a long time)....applesauce!" There is no hope for me! Poor kid!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I have read your blog on the CF forum for awhile now and saw today that you now have this blog. I started blogging at the beginning of the year and love it! My 5 year old son was diagnosed with CF when he was two weeks old. Anyway I will follow your blog if you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind at all. It's good to have someone see it. II will have to check out your blog as well!

    ReplyDelete